History Of The Church

Welcome to Nun’s Cross Church in the Parish of Killiskey. The current church at Nun’s Cross was Built in 1817 and is a remarkably neat structure built in the Later English style by Francis Synge, Esquire of Glanmore Castle, assisted by a gift of an £800, and a loan of £1000 from the Board of First Fruits. Consecration took place on the 20th of October 1817.

 The Church  contains an astonishing array of ‘treasures’ outstanding not only for their quality but also for their diversity and interest. Home to a rich collection of items in wood, stone and marble which have direct links to the great international revival of design and artistic craftsmanship known as the Arts & Crafts Movement (c.1885-c.1925), the church is also fortunate to possess a unique and important collection of stained glass executed by leading international artists, Michael O’Connor, Charles Emer Kempe and Catherine O’Brien (An Tur Gloine).

As mentioned earlier the church as connections with the Synge family of Glanmore Castle but also with the Casement Family of Cronroe House (now known as Bel-Air Hotel). Both Sir Roger Casement and literary giant John Millington Synge would have attended church here while on one of their many visits to their cousins in Cronroe and Glanmore.

The Parish of Killiskey and Killiskey Church, now in ruins in the village of Killiskey have served as a focal point for Christian Worship for over a thousand years.  The first mention of Killiskey occurs in a collection of four Papal Documents, the first of which was issued from Rome on the 13th of May 1179 AD.


Nun’s Cross Church, Co. Wicklow And Its Treasures

A book entitled  “Nun’s Cross Church, Co. Wicklow and its Treasures 1817 -2017”  detailing the history of Killiskey Parish and Nun’s Cross Church is available to purchase.  Commissioned by the Killiskey Select Vestry to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the building and consecration of the church and written by Mrs Patricia Butler it chronicles a long and distinguished history of the church, the parish and its Medieval foundations.